August 20

I woke up several times throughout the night to check the water level. It got close so I decided to get up early before it hit high tide. I packed up and headed into the intracoastal waterway. I only had 4 miles to go but the pleasure boat traffic was ridiculous. Some people are respectful of a kayaker and slow down not to throw a huge wake at me but probably 4 out of 5 like to see how close they can get to me and watch me struggle. This is the first day since I started that my body is sore. Not just the cuts but my muscles. Really my entire body. As I paddled down the waterway it was lined with houses. Right after a bridge crossing was a marina and Lulu's. It's a large restaurant/bar owned by Jimmy Buffett's sister Lucy. It's been a few years since I have been so excited to see a bar. I asked the guy at the gas dock where to tie up. He said to paddle around back. I tied up and headed in. I have gotten used to responding "just 1" when the hostess asks how many. They usually ask if I want to sit at the bar. After working in the service industry for a while I would rather do that then take up a whole table, especially when it's lunch time at a busy restaurant. Sitting at the bar is difficult for some alcoholics, but it doesn't really bother me. And I always seem to tip the same as if I was drinking. I figured that since I was at a Buffett's restaurant I should get the Cheeseburger in Paradise. But with pimento cheese on it. It truly was paradise. After scarfing it down and starting to feel more human like I headed to the marina office to see if I could leave my boat for a few days while I went into town. Usually when I explain what I'm doing they don't have a problem. I tied up and pulled my gear out of the boat. I decided to treat myself to a nicer hotel than normal. Usually I get the cheapest one that is one step above my tent. I found a Marriott that was about a mile and a half away. I booked it and called a cab and they said about 20 minutes. The driver called me and said he was on his way. Then he text me saying he had a flat and if I wanted to get someone else I could. It was the only company who answered so I told him I would wait. Not like I had many options. About an hour later I finally arrived at the hotel. I was exhausted from the sun and yesterday's events. I took an hour long shower and passed out in the magical Marriott bed.